Fall-spiced braised boar with wild mushroom & fennel ragout and whipped sweet potato
by Amber & Cheyenne Simpkins of Wine Country Feasts
Yields: 6 portions | Best paired with our 2016 828 Neighbors Pinot Noir
|4 lbs||boar shoulder/pork butt|
|2 ea||cinnamon sticks|
|2 ea||celery stick, roughly chopped|
|2 ea||yellow onion, roughly chopped|
|3 ea||bay leaves|
|2 ea||large carrots, roughly chopped|
|1 tsp||fennel seed|
|2 Tbl||smoked paprika|
|2 ea||whole cloves|
|1/2 tsp||nutmeg to taste salt & pepper|
|3 Tbl||extra virgin olive oil|
|3 qt||chicken or pork stock|
|1 c||pinot noir|
- Season boar with salt and pepper, sear both sides in olive oil.
- Remove meat and place in a braising pan. Add vegetables to searing pan and brown. When vegetables are brown add spices and toast for 1 minute.
- Add vegetables and spices to braising pan, then deglaze searing pan with wine and reduce for 2 minutes. Then add stock to wine reduction and bring to a boil.
- Add liquid to braising pan, cover pan tightly with foil and place in 300 degree oven for 4 hours.
- For sauce, strain braising liquid into a sauce pot and reduce by 2/3.
|1 lb||wild mushrooms, cleaned|
|2 ea||shallots, sliced|
|2 clv||garlic, sliced|
|1 ea||large fennel bulb, sliced|
|2 Tbl||extra virgin olive oil|
|3 Tbl||Italian parsley, roughly chopped|
- Sear wild mushrooms on high heat in olive oil. Lower the heat when mushrooms are done and add shallots, garlic and fennel, sauté until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and toss in parsley.
|2 ea||sweet potato/garnet yam, peeled|
|1/2 c||butter, unsalted|
|2 Tbl||light brown sugar to taste salt and pepper|
- Dice sweet potato into equal sized pieces, boil until tender.
- Drain potatoes and place into a mixing bowl with butter, sugar, salt and pepper whip until fluffy.