RecipesFall-spiced braised boar with wild mushroom & fennel ragout and whipped sweet potato
by Amber & Cheyenne Simpkins of Wine Country Feasts
Yields: 6 portions | Best paired with our 2016 828 Neighbors Pinot Noir
|4 lbs||boar shoulder/pork butt|
|2 ea||cinnamon sticks|
|2 ea||celery stick, roughly chopped|
|2 ea||yellow onion, roughly chopped|
|3 ea||bay leaves|
|2 ea||large carrots, roughly chopped|
|1 tsp||fennel seed|
|2 Tbl||smoked paprika|
|2 ea||whole cloves|
|1/2 tsp||nutmeg to taste salt & pepper|
|3 Tbl||extra virgin olive oil|
|3 qt||chicken or pork stock|
|1 c||pinot noir|
- Season boar with salt and pepper, sear both sides in olive oil.
- Remove meat and place in a braising pan. Add vegetables to searing pan and brown. When vegetables are brown add spices and toast for 1 minute.
- Add vegetables and spices to braising pan, then deglaze searing pan with wine and reduce for 2 minutes. Then add stock to wine reduction and bring to a boil.
- Add liquid to braising pan, cover pan tightly with foil and place in 300 degree oven for 4 hours.
- For sauce, strain braising liquid into a sauce pot and reduce by 2/3.
|1 lb||wild mushrooms, cleaned|
|2 ea||shallots, sliced|
|2 clv||garlic, sliced|
|1 ea||large fennel bulb, sliced|
|2 Tbl||extra virgin olive oil|
|3 Tbl||Italian parsley, roughly chopped|
- Sear wild mushrooms on high heat in olive oil. Lower the heat when mushrooms are done and add shallots, garlic and fennel, sauté until soft.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and toss in parsley.
|2 ea||sweet potato/garnet yam, peeled|
|1/2 c||butter, unsalted|
|2 Tbl||light brown sugar to taste salt and pepper|
- Dice sweet potato into equal sized pieces, boil until tender.
- Drain potatoes and place into a mixing bowl with butter, sugar, salt and pepper whip until fluffy.
Click here to download the printable recipe for Braised Boar that is best paired with our 2016 828 Neighbors Pinot Noir »